Wednesday 23 April 2008

'The Year of Magical Thinking' by Joan Didion

I've wanted to read this book ever since it was published. It's about the writer's experience of her husband's death and the year that follows. Death is a fascinating subject. I think about it a lot and I don't believe that's at all maudlin. I was thrilled as a teenager to discover that Tess of the D'urbervilles wonders about her own death, just as I did - when, where, how? I'd never mentioned it to anyone else at that point.

Anyway, last week I discovered a copy of the book for sale on greenmetropolis.com, one of my favourite websites. It's not very long and I read it almost at one sitting.

I found the title misleading. The 'magical thinking' seems to be Didion's reluctance to get rid of her husband's possessions, in the subconscious belief that he'll be coming back and will need them. Reviews I have read say that her clear, unsentimental writing makes the subject even more heartbreaking, but that wasn't my experience at all. The only part of the book I found touching was her quotation of another woman's grief, a woman whose son was serving in Iraq and who opens her door to a uniformed serviceman. She knows immediately what has happened, 'But I thought that if, as long as I didn't let him in, he couldn't tell me. And then it - none of that would've happened. So he kept saying, "Ma'am, I need to come in." And I kept telling him, "I'm sorry, but you can't come in."'

Those words, the words of an 'ordinary' woman, not a writer, move me to tears. I find them far more moving than anything else in the book. I don't want to belittle Didion's suffering - when her husband dies, her only child is in intensive care and goes in and out of hospital throughout the year. What a horrible, horrible situation to be in and yet somehow I can't feel much sympathy for her predicament, especially as after pages of details on her daughter's condition and treatment, she simply disappears towards the end, suddenly materialising without explanation at a Christmas dinner. (She actually died too, some time later, an awful second blow).

There may not be much of the magical in this book, but there are certainly plenty of facts, quotes and extracts from medical records and journals. A more appropriate title might be 'The Year of Medical Thinking'.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I keep meaning to read this - but maybe I won't now. The play - with Vanessa Redgrave - is on in London at the moment too. But no one will go and see it with me 'it is too depressing'