Wednesday 12 March 2008

Words, words, words

Words are important. It matters to me how they're strung together, how they are punctuated, how they are spoken. Has anyone else noticed how some TV journalists randomly break up. their sentences into.blocks regardless of meaning as.though there are multiple. full stops in the sentence? Why have they started to do this? Is it because of autocues? And how come reporters out on location do it, when presumably they have just written their copy and know what's coming next? It makes my brain jolt around and struggle to find the sense in what should be a perfectly simple sentence.

And sometimes words are important because you don't know them. What's the name for those thin, stringy bits on bananas that cling so revoltingly to your lip and chin if you don't carefully peel them off before starting to eat? And still on the breakfast theme, what do you call that property that bran has which makes it leap about like jumping beans when you spoon it out of the packet?

Words have many shades of meaning too. I was going to call this blog One of the Nosiest People I Know, because that's what one of my friends called me once and I don't regard it as by any means a fault, but A felt it was too negative, and replacing 'nosiest' with 'most curious' or 'inquisitive' just didn't have the same ring.

No comments: